Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Odaiba

The Happy Few lucky enough to be getting a Xmas present from me this year will be receiving an Aibo, a robot dog from Sony. He doesn’t do much, just picks up a ball and a bone with a byte, but he responds to affection. Stroke him, and his tail wags; pet his snout and a series of green, red and blue lights on his face sparkle, he stretches his front paws out in pleasure and looks up at you. Of course he behaves well, a bit too well in my opinion: he doesn’t bark, chase cats, piss, fart or shit, eats little electricity, and finds his way back to his battery when he, or you, get tired. He looks more than a little like Snoopy. Was it mere coincidence that I saw a Snoopy products outlet just as I was leaving the Sony area?

Aibo is a snippet at US$1,700, available in black or white. But maybe next year’s puppies will be cheaper.

Aibo’s tail wags.
The children break out in smiles.
Sony’s tills ring out loud.

And if you are not too keen on animals, try a ball, apparently based on the same principle, called Q Healing Creature, because, according to Sony, it has “ feelings and instincts (...) which gives us a sense of what life is really like”. The ball will follow your hand, displaying its array of lights, showing pleasure that you are near, demonstrating that you have at least one pal and admirer. The Q Healing Creature is not yet on the market.

By contrast driving will be all hands-off. I “drove” a Toyota e-car, or rather it drove me, like a five-year-old on a fairground ride. We will be locked into a traffic conveyor belt on the motorways, with our steering and speed automatically controlled.

Sony and Toyota are two of the most successful zaibatsu, the enormous conglomerates which are so central and powerful in Japan, have large showrooms in two shopping centres in Odaiba, a district reclaimed from the sea in the port of Toky,o, and which is so typical of Japanese development projects. It had a shaky start, causing the downfall of mayor Shimachi Suzuki in 1995 though plans for a mega 1996 International Exhibition, but now, with Sony and other big companies there, it has taken off.

Toyota’s mall, Venus Fort, is Italianate, with Roman church facades, Venetian streets, classical fountains, a bright blue Mediterranean sky. What a pity the sky outside was so blue itself yesterday! Sony’s Aqua City is more American, with a quarter-size Statue of Liberty, and an array of mock 1950s shops, including The World of Coca Cola.

The crowds of shoppers on this public holiday, for the shops open every single day of the year, do not come down to the water. A pleasant spot, a park and few people. Over on the mainland contained ships are being loaded and unloaded. Behind the high buildings of the Shinagawa business district. A brightly lit pleasure ferry passes. I take a picture. To the right Rainbow Bridge, reminding me a little of the Golden Gate Bridge. I think of the Thames, the Seine and Hong Kong Island, but Tokyo seems to have turned its back on the sea and its rivers. No cafes, no restaurants, few bateaux mouches. It is because of the earthquakes, I’m told, for the areas near water are often the least safe, liable to instant flooding.

I return to Komaba, where the Students’ Festival is just ending. On Monday the rock groups were poor, the rap and break dancing much better, and the Barber Shop Quartet, or rather Quintet, La Voce, good. For four days students set up food and drink stalls, organized shows, and many camped out. The university provided the infrastructure, and the students did the rest. I went into the Planetarium, set up inside the badminton hall, where a Heath Robinson contraption, made out of coffee and beer cans and old lenses, shows us the night sky. Undergraduate courses are traditionally seen as an easy time between the years of struggle to get in and the long hours of a lifelong job in a big company, which was always a guarantee if you graduated from Tokyo University. Indeed, many of the students I see every day will be responsible for the next generations off Aibos and Q Healing Creatures.

26 Comments:

Blogger Marilise Rezende Bertin said...

John:

Managed to get there at last!

Tell me, do I get it all right or am I mistaken?
So many colours, movement, high tech stuff trying to imitate the feelings of people...
What about relationships? A Jap living in a world like this. Isn't he lonely, lost in his own tranlation of this high tech international 'developed' new Japan?

I wonder...

xxxxx

Marilise

November 24, 2004 at 2:06 AM  
Blogger no star said...

We are the robots.

November 24, 2004 at 6:22 AM  
Blogger kalisekj said...

Hey, I have enjoyed...your blog is informative - even entertaining.

I have a halloween sites. They pretty much covers costumes and masks related stuff.

Thanks again and I'll be sure to bookmark you.

October 4, 2005 at 1:43 AM  
Blogger Jack Naka said...

Just thought i would say hi from Japan. Doing some blog surfing and found your site. Im looking for some cool styles of 70s fashion for my own blog. Theres some really amazing blogs about. if you have time check out my site you will find information on 70s fashion. Well when i get my blog running hope you come and check it out.

October 5, 2005 at 12:33 PM  
Blogger Trog said...

Nice blog I have one myself great idea horse racing at ascot

October 8, 2005 at 4:11 AM  
Blogger PolarTrader said...

Great Blog! I wanted to share this with you. Are you tired of the Internet Marketing Rat Race? dxinone tutorial

Check this out when you have time :-)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 8, 2005 at 7:59 AM  
Blogger Basket said...

Vous avez un blog très agréable et je l'aime, je vais placer un lien de retour à lui dans un de mon blogs qui égale votre contenu. Il peut prendre quelques jours mais je ferai besure pour poster un nouveau commentaire avec le lien arrière.

Merci pour est un bon blogger.

October 8, 2005 at 4:57 PM  
Blogger Tom Naka said...

I've stumbled across your blog when I done some health care consulting jobs
research in Google. You're doing a pretty nice job
here, keep up the good work! check out health care consulting jobs

October 8, 2005 at 10:04 PM  
Blogger Designer Doggie Wear said...

Hey, you have a great blog here!

I have a dog supplement for strong coats site. It pretty much covers ##Custom Dog Coats## related stuff.

Tired of those knit sweaters, the ones that stretch out and have legs that your dog hates? Us too! So we came up with a coat that fits comfortably and works well! You and your dog will love these coats! We know, because we have been dog breeders for 23 years and know what dogs like.

All "Designer DoggieWear!" coats are handmade by ourselves in the United States. This assures the finest of quality and workmanship.



Come and check it out if you get time.

October 10, 2005 at 7:57 AM  
Blogger Thanks for you visit said...

Greetings,

I Really think you have a great blog here, and see you have a very high page ranking, I found this info out from this page. http://pr.blogflux.com/ Try it out.



I have several pages of my own,

I'ts about femme Clothing. This site is in French language.
My second site is about Chaussures that is Shoes in french and bottes that is boots in french.

My Third site is about Chocolate that is made in France. The Frech language just drops to e at the end so it is chocolat

October 10, 2005 at 7:09 PM  
Blogger tom naka said...

Hi, I was just blog surfing and found you! If you are interested, go see my italian restaurant new york related site. It pretty much covers italian restaurant new york stuff. I guess you may find something of interest.

October 11, 2005 at 10:19 AM  
Blogger Bill888 said...

Wow what a great blog. You've piqued my interest.. The forex market is also one of my interests along with forex signal chart. Thanks for the info.

October 11, 2005 at 12:53 PM  
Blogger The Coupon Guru said...

Very cool ralphs supermarket blog. I found **THIS** ralphs supermarket site. Take a look.

October 15, 2005 at 4:13 PM  
Blogger The Coupon Guru said...

Hey.. I just found your retail shopping blog. If retail shopping interests you ... You should check out **THIS** site.

October 16, 2005 at 3:49 AM  
Blogger Free Traffic System said...

Hello,

I liked your blog. I found many interesting information here.
I also give free info about forex trading strategy on my
href="http://www.WebTradingSystem.com">Forex Trading System
site.

If you have time please visit my web site to get some free forex trading strategy
information.

Kind regards,
Nick

October 16, 2005 at 9:24 PM  
Blogger Gordon said...

Hello, your blog is informative . I have a website related tofx chart, so you can compare the currency rates of different time frames easily. Charts of major currency pairs can be found there, the site should be helpful to your forex trading.

October 21, 2005 at 10:40 PM  
Blogger . said...

I just came across your blog, and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a forex trading signal blog, so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!

October 26, 2005 at 2:21 PM  
Blogger . said...

I just came across your blog, and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a capital forex blog, so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!

October 27, 2005 at 7:51 AM  
Blogger all about news and such said...

I just came across your blog about online grocery shopping and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site about online grocery shopping so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here! If you get a chance, please stop by online grocery shopping

October 30, 2005 at 7:43 PM  
Blogger Interad said...

Hello, I am a korean visitor, good to see you.
I am sure that your blog page looks great to me which mean looking crowded so, I would like to let everybodies know Korea information official site korea.net same as Dynamic Korea - contains all about Korea News and informations, please let me introducel this cool site. Dynamic Korea offer korea travel, culture, food, arts and government info exactly what you want to know korean movie star. You better check it out some time.

November 3, 2005 at 11:43 AM  
Blogger Johnny said...

Hello, your blog is inmformative, I just found a brand new forex trading system using both Mathematical and psychlogical approch, hope you can visit and it will be useful to your trading life.

November 15, 2005 at 3:29 AM  
Blogger Judy Farrell said...

Love your blog. I plan to bookmark it for future reference. Anyone interested in my blog on food, recipes, drinks and
coupon grocery printable store

November 16, 2005 at 8:17 PM  
Blogger answer-man said...

enjoyed the subject matter on your blog. I have some super great shopping malls to share please take a moment to see which one you like the best.
www.Christmas-Mall-Online.com
www.ShopBeachCity.com
www.American-Shopping-Mall.com
www.tshirtapperal.com
www.biblemediadvd.com
www.bibledvdonine.com
www.handbagexpress.com
www.vegastours.com
www.satellie-dish-network-tv-movies.com
Be sure and take advantage of the great values available. Enjoy!

March 30, 2006 at 1:04 AM  
Blogger CommunityColumns said...

Sometimes I think forex news is too regulated then at other times I think that there isn't enough oversight.

July 19, 2006 at 11:14 AM  
Blogger fatloss said...

Just browsing around the net for forex trading free commission and came across your blog. I've been trying to add as much info as I can about forex trading on my blog .

August 6, 2006 at 7:02 AM  
Blogger EResourcesForSuccess said...

Bill says I'm crazy but I think learning forex trading is worth looking into.

August 25, 2006 at 1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home